Apr 22, 2009

Toffee Brownies

I was seriously craving chocolate last weekend; brownies in particular. Yet there was one thing standing between me and my raspberry cheesecake brownies fix; our pathetic Sunday shopping ordinance. How dare they!!

So basically that left me with no alternative than to make do with what I still had in my pantry/fridge. These turned out a little sweeter than my usual recipes, but nonetheless, I ate 2 big pieces! Then I weeped all the way to the gym. Oh wait; I don’t do the gym thing. Never mind!

Brownies:

3/4 cup sugar
4 oz chocolate (no dark chocolate)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup self-rising flour
10 oz cream cheese
7 oz pecan nuts
4 oz butter

Icing:

2 oz butter
3 oz chocolate (no dark chocolate)
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk

First things first; I’ve buttered and lined an 8 x 8 inch baking tray with baking paper.

Then I smashed about 7 oz pecan nuts I still had floating around my pantry. They could just as well have been walnuts, though. Leave a few nuts whole for garnish.

I’ve set 3/4 cup of granulated sugar ready and grabbed 2 tbsp from it. Added the 2 tbsp to 10 oz (room temperature) cream cheese, along with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Use a little toddler hand for stirring (What do you mean child labour? He’s almost 3!) and set the bowl aside for a while so the sugar will dissolve.

You can do this au bain marie, but a microwave works so much faster!

Place 4 oz of butter in a microwave-proof bowl, add about 4 oz chocolate, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and pop in the microwave until it melts. Stir well.

Tip: if you don’t have any chocolate on hand, just use 3 tbsp cocoa powder in stead.

Break out your kitchenaid or hand-mixer and whisk 2 large eggs with the rest of the 3/4 cup sugar, until it’s all smooth and creamy.

Pour the butter/chocolate mix in there. Stir until it’s a pretty brown batter.

Sieve 3/4 cup self-rising flour right on top of the batter. Gotta love them action shots.

Throw in the pecan nuts and combine it all. A pretty turquoise spatula helps make the photos more interesting!

Pour half of the brownie batter into your baking tray. Level it.

Top with the  cream cheese. You can add some fruit or even throw in a few jelly puddles here and there at this point. Strawberry jelly works really well! Just knock yourself out.

And pour the other half of your brownie batter right on top of the cream cheese. Now you can swirl it, draw little puppets or animals in it, but I always leave it just like this. They come out real pretty that way.

Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 350F (180C) for 40 to 45 minutes!

In the mean time we’ll fix the icing. Combine 2 oz butter with 3 oz chocolate, 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tbsp milk. Melt everything au bain marie or in the microwave. Even a sauce pan on your stove top will do.

Tip: you can omit the chocolate and just use 2 tbsp cocoa powder in stead.

Grab 1 cup confectioners sugar.

Add it to the butter mix and start mixing. If it’s too thick, add more milk per tbsp.

Always taste what you’re doing. I do! And I have the thighs to show for it.

After 45 minutes my cake looked like this. Notice the cracks on top? Those are good. Those are really, really good.

Because you see, this way I get to spread a little icing on top of the cake while it’s still hot. The icing will melt and seep right into the cracks.

Let the cake cool off for at least 15 to 30 minutes now.

Spread the rest of the icing on top.

Garnish with the whole pecan nuts you kept behind.

Let the cake cool for several hours, preferably overnight, before cutting it in squares.

This completely satisfied my sweet chocolate cravings. So simple, but so good.

oooh looks yummy! is it just netherlands that has this no shopping on sunday thing or the rest of europe as well? how long has it been like that?

Melinda on Apr 25, 2009 @ 3:25 pm Reply

@Melinda:

It’s been like that for as long as I can remember. Slowly it’s changing and stores are allowed to open on Sunday once a month or so, but I don’t see supermarkets opening on Sundays anytime soon. I don’t know about the rest of Europe.

Kay on Apr 25, 2009 @ 3:37 pm Reply

I made some brownies like this the other day and I just loved them. Yours look amazing!

Alexandra on Apr 25, 2009 @ 5:30 pm Reply

Those look awesomely delicious! By the way, we have that no shopping thing on Sundays here in Germany, and from what I’ve read, France is similar.

Meredith on Apr 27, 2009 @ 4:26 pm Reply

Yummo! I have never eaten toffee brownies before and i have had my share of brownies, these look like a must try!

Sneh | Gels Kitchen on May 22, 2009 @ 3:13 am Reply

I really like your photos. So bright and fresh! This recipe sounds wonderful. I am glad I found your blog.

Julia on May 22, 2009 @ 4:57 am Reply

I liked that you listed the temp in celsius

dusty on Jun 30, 2009 @ 7:52 am Reply

@dusty:

We use celcius in the Netherlands!!

Kay on Jun 30, 2009 @ 7:53 am Reply

Does toffee mean something else in the Netherlands? I don’t see any toffee candy in these brownies. ;) It’s a caramel like confection here in the states. I bet a Skor bar chopped up and sprinkled over the top of your luscious frosting would fix that straightaway.

Printing and trying these soon!

Katie M on Sep 7, 2009 @ 10:40 pm Reply

Mmmmmm, delicious.

Chocolate Execution on Oct 4, 2009 @ 1:07 am Reply

wil dit recept zo graag maken maar hoeveel gram is een oz :) ?

arja on Nov 30, 2009 @ 1:32 pm Reply

Hello Kay :) I admire your blog so much!

hm..Is it neccessary to use self-rising flour or I can use just regular flour? :)

Renata on Mar 24, 2010 @ 4:40 pm Reply

@Renata:

Thanks! That’s so sweet :)

You can make self-rising flour out of regular flour by adding 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt to 2 cups of regular flour. But without these additions the brownies are not going to come out okay, no!

Kay on Mar 24, 2010 @ 4:50 pm Reply

I really like your recipe site, and the recipes look great, especially the brownies and the red cabbage cooked with apples!   I live in Oklahoma City area, in Oklahoma(USA)and all the stores are open around here on Sunday, although sometimes I wish they weren’t, because when I was growing up, not many stores were open on Sunday, and there was a lot of respect for the Lord’s Day(I am a christian, so I believe Sunday is the Lord’s Day and a great day to worship Him).   Thank you for your wonderful recipe site and for sharing it !

Mary Jo on Dec 7, 2010 @ 7:54 am Reply

Doing this now. Just not sure why all the materials are hard, not liquid. I used 250g of Philadelfia, as a 3/4 cup I used 180ml. But still – dought and cream is hard like a mash, not like in the pics :( hope result still will be good… Will let you know tomorrow after try :)

Indre on Dec 19, 2010 @ 5:50 pm Reply
      1. @ Indre:

They turned out beautiful!!

Kay on Dec 20, 2010 @ 8:34 pm Reply

@Kay:  Thanks :) these was the first time I ate brownies – these were nice ;)

Indre on Dec 21, 2010 @ 11:01 am Reply

You\ve forgotten to add the 2 eggs on the ingredients list.
      But I still love your blog, photos, this recipe and many others, your style…. need I say more ?
      And I\m planning to bake this beauty this afternoon >D.

Anca on Jan 22, 2011 @ 12:51 pm Reply

Kay,

Hail from  England!
      Found your website on a trawl the other day & those Brownies looked adorable, so I made them for a charity cake day at work for today.
      Quite the best brownies ever had, absolutely toptastic, that cream cheese texture sounds so wrong, but it just rocks, had a whole other dimension to it!
      Had two of my colleagues at work ask me for the recipe, so your fame is spreading even here in little England LOL

Was curious why they’re called toffee brownies though? Or is that the toffee fudge topping?

One teeny quibble – you mention the eggs & the vanilla extract in the recipe, but they’re not listed in the ingredients at the top of the page…

Cheers,
                         Jer

Jerry on Feb 17, 2011 @ 11:25 pm Reply

Toffee brownies – these look to die for, any ideas why I can’t print off the recipe?

Nicky on Jan 27, 2012 @ 11:25 am Reply
      1. This is a 2009 recipe. Underneath the printer icon is a link that says “Click here to print recipes older than 2010”.

Kay on Jan 27, 2012 @ 11:31 am Reply

That’s prolly the best brownie I’ve ever made!
      So delightfully decadent, yet so many different textures too, the nuttiness, the yumminess of the chocolate & the squishiness of the cream cheese filling.

I wasn’t sure if they were over done or not when I took them out after 44 mins, dry brownies aren’t much fun :(
      So I cut off a thin layer on the edge to cut 3 brownie squares off. After I devoured those, I could quite easily have scoffed the lot!
      Just a shame I was taking them into work the next day :P

Jer

Jerry Hendy on Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:42 pm Reply

If in case I want to make it eggless, then shall I just add baking powder and soda to the mix.

Khushboo on Jun 2, 2014 @ 2:04 pm Reply