Oct 22, 2008

Stuffed Zucchini

I like the simple things in life. Simple ingredients, simple techniques, maximum flavor. But I guess you know that by now. Especially when you hand me a recipe that doubles as an appetizer or side dish, you just reel me in.

Stuffed zucchinis are so versatile. It creates an endless amount of possibilities because almost anything goes with the smooth and silky flavor (and texture) of the zucchinis. Preparing them can be tedious for me (note how I’m saying for me?) though. Boiling them first, stuffing them and then in the oven. Too time consuming. It’s how I learned it a long time ago and it seems I got stuck in my ways.

So lately I’ve been wondering if there are easier and faster ways to prepare them. Now the blog name doesn’t say ‘Dutch Girl Cooking’ for nothing, so I trodded back to my kitchen, slaved over a hot stove and can now safely say: Yes, there is an easier way!

Now please, please, don’t tell me you’ve been doing it like this for 10 years straight! You’ll make me feel completely and utterly stupid! A little white lie, for my sake? Please?

1 tbsp sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tomato
1 tsp thyme
2 zucchinis
1 onion
cheese
pepper

Optional: bacon

Preheat your oven to 400 (200C).

Give the zucchini a good scrub.

Slice them in half length-ways. You can trim the ends if you like. I never do, I kinda like how rustic it makes them look.

Spoon out the guts. I love how that sounds, has to be the Halloween thing. Oh wait, we don’t celebrate Halloween here! Never mind. Just take it out (leave about 1/2 an inch in) until you end up with boat like shells.

See the pink ‘bracelet’ I’m wearing? Yes, it’s (of course) linked to this posting.

Now give the zucchini pulp a good chop, also chop a small onion and 1/2 a tomato while you’re at it. I’m only using half a tomato (more for color than flavor, really) otherwise things will become a teeny bit too fluid. Having everything gush out of your zucchini is not a pretty sight, trust me!

Notice how I didn’t use garlic for a change? It’s the rebel in me. What can I say? I just don’t want to be predictable after all. Sautee the onions in one tbsp oil or butter. It’s ok for them to brown a little this time ’round.

When the onions are almost done, add 1/4 tsp curry powder and cook everything for an additional 30 seconds. No longer or the curry powder will turn bitter. When they’re done, transfer them to a big bowl.

Now this is completely optional. If you want to stick with a vegetable dish, fine, just leave the bacon out. I personally like the crunch and saltiness it gives, so I cook a few slices and let them drain on a paper towel.

Now (in no particular order), add 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt, 1 heaping tbsp sour cream, a good pinch of pepper, the zucchini pulp, the tomato and crumble the bacon in as well.

Lightly butter a baking dish and put the zucchini boats in. You only see two of them in my photos because I’ll finish the rest tonight. They’re best served straight out of the oven. Afraid I’ll just have to sacrifice myself and eat both of them pretty soon, all for the sake of blogging, of course. It would be a shame if they’d go to waste, wouldn’t it?

Grab a spoon and fill the shells with the mix. Sprinkle some aged cheese on top.

Put them in a preheated oven, give them about 20 minutes and then turn on the grill until the top is golden brown. Sprinkle some coarsely chopped curly leaf parsley (the most underrated herb there is) on top and you’re done.

Hello, my pretties!

DELISH!!!
      Made these tonight & even hubby who does not fancy zucchini enjoyed them. Will certainly be making them again.

Kerry on Jul 27, 2011 @ 1:44 pm Reply

This recipe was fabulous and I am adding it to my list of favorites! I steamed shrimp and then added them to the top. Turned out great!

Jen on Jul 31, 2011 @ 3:49 am Reply

Just came across your photos on Pinterest. SO pretty! I love the simplicity of this dish and how it uses local seasonal summer ingredients. Yum.

Rivki Locker on Aug 10, 2011 @ 4:19 am Reply

Hello from the Canadian prairies!

I stumbled across this recipe looking for ways to cook my zucchini (first time gardener with way too many), and tried making it for dinner tonight. It was easy to make and delicious! Thanks for the great idea!

Kyla on Aug 17, 2011 @ 3:10 am Reply

I am so happy to find your blog!.. Will explore.. Will add to my subscription of inspiring blogs!! Clean, simple, clever!! Thank you very much for sharing and inspiration!!!

Marina V. on Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:20 pm Reply

I find that if you throw in a buttered slice of bread, cubed small, that takes care of some of the juiciness. (Of course the butter is optional. :o)

Nelleke on Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:42 am Reply

Wow! These are amazing! I did all the prep work and went to put them in my oven, only to discover that it was broken! Needless to say I was MAD… but we fired up the grill and wrapped them in foil and let them cook on there… they were extremely juicy and not at all browned, but still SO tasty. I can’t wait to try them in the oven, and to add some turkey bacon! Thanks for the recipe!

Laura on Sep 10, 2011 @ 8:47 pm Reply

Have you ever tried to fix this up the baking but then freeze it. I wonder if that would ruin it.??This would be nice to have ready to pull out of freezer on Sunday morn to have after Church when you are not home to cook a meal. anyway thanks so much. I love your blog! It is great.

jean on Sep 12, 2011 @ 4:50 pm Reply
      1. No, I haven’t. I’m afraid it would get really squishy and moist if you would freeze it and then defrost it.

Kay on Sep 12, 2011 @ 4:53 pm Reply

Thanks Kay

jean on Sep 12, 2011 @ 4:51 pm Reply

Fabulous recipe – I tried it yesterday with a couple of tiny tweaks and loved it.  I have posted on my blog and linked back to you for the original recipe :)
      I love your photographs – they are so beautiful :)

Nisha Jacob on Sep 27, 2011 @ 12:10 am Reply

made these last night with quinoa on the side. they were so good! omitted the curry and went with white cheddar on top, as it was what i had already in the fridge. very delicious – thank you for the recipe!

alison on Oct 13, 2011 @ 9:18 am Reply

LOVED this recipe, but next time I will reduce the amount of thyme :)

Katy on Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:08 pm Reply

Can’t wait to make these for dinner tonight!  I’ve been eyeing up the photos for a while now on my Pinterest board!  I’m hoping that if I call them zuchinni boats my kids will eat them and love em!  (I may even make little sails with a skewer and some rice paper for extra kicks!)

katie on Oct 20, 2011 @ 6:59 pm Reply

I used cumin instead of curry and added black olives and cilantro. Amazing!

Caitlin on Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:14 pm Reply

looks delicious! what kind of cheese did you use?

Christina on Oct 31, 2011 @ 6:00 pm Reply

Hi Kay! Im a new follower and I cant wait to try out your recipes, they all look amazing!!!! And for a Icelandic / English girl living on the tiny island of Crete with two little boys who always seem to be hungry and a husband who will just eat  about anything I put on the table, I feel lucky to have stumbled upon your website because I was in desparate need of some ideas!!!!!
      So thanks again!!!!

Christine on Nov 2, 2011 @ 7:12 pm Reply

OH. MY. WORD! I just made these. I found the link on Pinterest. These are AMAZING! They tasted as good as they looked. THANK YOU for this recipe.

Mandy on Nov 9, 2011 @ 2:26 am Reply

Yuuum, looks so delicious!

Hi there! I tried these last night for dinner, I added black beans for some protien and basil, and instead of bacon I used artificial bacon bits (im a vegetarian), and it was Amazing! Even the men loved it! Thank you so much for the recipe!

britt on Dec 22, 2011 @ 10:38 pm Reply

I will try this recipe, my daughter decided to become a vegetarian and threw on a spin!!

Alejandra Michell-Martin on Jan 3, 2012 @ 1:01 am Reply

I have tried to print the recipe twice. I get the name and page 1 of 1 at the top and website and date at the bottom and nothing in between. Help!!!!!

Stephanie Smith on Jan 13, 2012 @ 5:11 pm Reply
      1. Thats because it’s a recipe from 2008. Below the printable recipe icon that is a link that says “click here to print recipes older than 2010′.

Kay on Jan 13, 2012 @ 5:22 pm Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post.