Nov 3, 2009

Speculaas Spice

I’ve been harassed, solicited, stalked and followed by numerous people demanding a Speculaas spice recipe. Oh, you know who you are! Now I could either go in hiding—wait for them to get bored with me and find another Dutch blogger to badger—or I could suck it up and try to come up with something to get the angry mob off my back. Preferably before they’d break out the pitchforks and torches. I decided the latter was more my style.

All kidding aside, we usually buy this spice blend premade but I’m always up for a challenge. Tried several different combinations and found that it’s really, really hard to duplicate the store bought blend. But the judges mutuallly settled on this version. It’s a little more cinnamony, which we really like. In fact, we like it so much that I doubt we’ll be buying another commercial spice mix anytime soon.

4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp mace

Mix it all up. There. All ready! You’re grateful for my storyboards, aren’t you? I just spared you a scrolling trip past 9 photos of me putting spices in a bowl.

Note: for an even more authentic speculaas flavor, put 1 tsp anise seeds and 1 tsp coriander seeds in a mortar, grind them with the pestle and add them to the blend. I didn’t add them because I know a lot of people don’t have them on hand.

How I love these simple postings! I wish you could smell this. If only we could bring smell to the Internet.

Crank up your oven. We’re gonna do some baking.

This is wonderful. I usually make my own spice blends for this type of baking, but I found a better than my home made version from Adult Indulgences Custom Spice Blends. I found them on ETSY and they have THE most incredible blends I found anywhere. In fact, the spices you listed are listed in some of their blends, namely their OH India blend. I buy it constantly. I even used it (don’t tell them) in some scented candles I made and WOW. Those spices you have listed are incredible!

Linda Fairchild on Nov 30, 2009 @ 10:08 am Reply

ok… got my spices… made my dough… now if only you had given me a tutorial on getting my cookies out of the mold! lol…

Spices worked great in my Speculaas cookies… they are not so pretty but they taste fab!! :-)

Michelle Spoor on Dec 6, 2009 @ 7:34 am Reply

I’m so happy you posted this spice mix. I came across a variety of beautifully carved speculaas molds while searching for springerle boards. I used to love “windmill” cookies growing up and thought it would be nice to make them myself. I used the recipe for speculaas that came with the molds but it just wasn’t spicy enough for me nor did the cookies taste like the ones from my childhood. This spice mix does the trick. Thank you!

Angela on Nov 19, 2010 @ 3:37 pm Reply

I’m a professional pastry chef and have always just purchased speculaas spice.  I love that you have a recipe so I can replicated it at home.  Speculaas pound cake was a creation one day.  Just make your usual pound cake recipe.  Divide batter in half and mix some spice into 1/2 of  the batter.  Swirl the 2 halves and bake as usual.  Enjoy!

SweetDesigns on May 9, 2011 @ 5:01 am Reply

Thank you for the spice mix, but can you please e-mail me your recipe? I live in the US but I have a food scale so grams and all that should be fine. I am looking to bake authentic speculaas for my boyfriend’s mother who is 100% dutch as a surprise. :)

Elizabeth on Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:11 am Reply

I am in the Netherlands at the moment and I am looking for mace. Could you please tell me the dutch word for ‘mace’. Thank you

Hristiana on Jul 13, 2012 @ 3:12 pm Reply

Hello Kay!

Thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for the recipe for Speculaas Koekjes and they all say “Speculaas Kruiden”. Well duh! But I wanted to know how to make it myself, other than getting it from family from the Netherlands, I have to rely on home made Speculaas Kruiden.
      Now I can make Speculaas Koekjes for the Christmas Cookie exchange here in our hometown in Alaska! Thanks :) (And make pepernoten next year with the kids).

Marianke on Dec 10, 2012 @ 3:50 am Reply

It is pretty darn difficult to perfect the Speculoos / Spekulatius spice mix, and every brand lists a different set of ingredients.  Here’s the best mix I’ve developed, and I will not claim that it’s any better than yours, just what I’ve managed to come up with:

1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
      1 tsp coriander
      1/2 tsp allspice
      1/8 tsp ginger

Coriander is the mystery ingredient.  It’s strange, the coriander doesn’t have much of a flavor on its own, but it seems necessary to make the rest work.
      One other ingredient: add 4 tsp of sugar and you’ve got a mix you can put on oatmeal, or even eat straight if you’re jonesing for spekuloos.

Chunky Style on Sep 22, 2013 @ 6:04 pm Reply
      1. In the Netherlands speculaas seasoning is no speculaas seasoning without cloves, nutmeg and white pepper! Your mix would be named cookie seasoning here (Koekkruiden).

Kay on Sep 22, 2013 @ 6:19 pm Reply

Spekulatius cookies!! mmmm!!

michelle on Jan 16, 2014 @ 7:49 pm Reply

Oh….thank you thank you…been looking for this for a long time!! Bless you for sharing in ENGLISH!!

Darlene Overzet on Aug 26, 2014 @ 5:12 am Reply
      1. I’m glad it helps! But I still don’t have the formula exactly right.

New mystery ingredient: fennel. Add a little bit of fennel, maybe 1/4 tsp.

I admit I got super-lazy and now I just buy a ridiculous amount of Spekulatius from ALDI around November, enough to last me the year. If memory serves, you can get a 21 oz bag of Spekulatius at ALDI for $2, which is an incredible bargain, so I hoard the stuff like a crazy person. Just knowing that I’ve got bags and bags of Spekulatius in the basement keeps me from jonesing.

Chunky Style on Aug 26, 2014 @ 6:00 am Reply
      2. Chunky Style on Aug 26, 2014 @ 4:06 pm Reply

As a pure 100% Dutch girl I know of this spice…I will share a secret, but don’t tell anyone…LOL!! I add this in my zucchini bread recipe instead of plain cinnamon and everyone says I make the best zucchini bread in the world and everyone wants my secret…Also, I include a small jar of this in gift baskets at Christmas for very special friends.

Darlene Castor on Sep 24, 2014 @ 5:09 pm Reply

Also regarding Speculaas Kruiden….I was always told that Speculaas included cloves, but Kruiden did not.

Darlene Castor on Sep 24, 2014 @ 5:13 pm Reply

Hi Kay, If I’m unable to find mace and anise seed, are there any spices that I can substitute with? Would it still be speculaas spice if I don’t add both of them?

I have the rest of the spices including coriander seeds.

Thanks in advance.