So, there I was… stuck with a window sill filled with containers. How charming. Everything for the cause, right?
Things got nice and warm in there, so all the conditions were right for my seeds to germinate, sprout and grow into seedlings. Which they did after exactly 8 days.
I had bought different sets of Jalapeño seeds, along with Anaheim and Madame Jeanette seeds. I also used different soaking times.
I posted about the first set that I planted: they were soaked for six hours. At that time I was already soaking another package of Jalapeño seeds as well (and had another propagator ready to go), I gave those a full three-day soak before planting them. The Anaheim and Madame Jeanette peppers went in unsoaked.
Pretty soon I’ll have to closely look at what seedling has the best chance of growing into a strong plant, and cut away the other(s) at soil level. Obviously you can’t grow 3 of them in one tiny container, but now I get to pick the best one.
Now that they have all germinated I’m removing the lid to prevent them from becoming too leggy. I keep them on a every-other-day watering schedule and I also turn them often—they obviously grow towards the light—so they will grow straight stems. I do notice that the Jalapeño seeds seem to grow fastest.
Here’s another thing I bought for my back yard: a dirt-cheap foil greenhouse. I will try to grow some plants in the open air and a few in my window sill. Really curious about the difference between those three.
Will keep you posted on the progress!