Mar 25, 2010

Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Some of my best recipes are the ones I come up with as I go. That definitely applies to this recipe.

I still had some pork chops in my freezer that needed to be used up. I wasn’t sure what to do with them and ended up combining random stuff from my kitchen cabinet. The result was awesome! This pork is to die for and no, I am not exaggerating. I’m pretty sure this will be a staple recipe in our home from hereon.

It‘s a crazy simple and fast recipe, perfect for week-nights! You have to give this one a try or you’ll be missing out! Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Replace the pork with chicken strips if you must, but really, just try it.

Go ahead… I’ll wait.

1 pound boneless pork chops
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp ginger syrup
3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 small bell pepper

I carefully choose my victim and made him chop stuff. Starting with an onion. Slice it in half-rings.
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

And cut the bell pepper in strips, not too thin.
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Grate or mince 2 garlic cloves. Four photos of chopping garlic, is this overkill or what? Man, I was on a roll here!
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Stuff. Soy sauce, ginger syrup and sweet chili sauce to be precise.
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Be careful with that curry powder, it can cause nasty stains.
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Not that I really care about stains. That would be an epic waste of time.

Anyway…

Chop those chops.

Heat 1 or 2 tbsp high-heat cooking oil and sauté the onion and bell pepper over really high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Until the onion starts to brown lightly. Keep moving those veggies, guys!

Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

Pour in the sauce and let it simmer for 5 minutes, over really high heat. The sauce will cook down and stick to the pork and vegetables. It’s yummy.

Stir now and then.
Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce

This was SO finger-licking good! Incredible. I served it with Indonesian pickles (Atjar Tjampoer/Acar Campur), my own Chinese fried rice, green beans and shrimp crackers (Kerupuk).

Kay’s Recipe Card

Click here for printable size.

• 1 pound boneless pork chops
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp ginger syrup
    3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1 large onion
    2 garlic cloves
    1 small bell pepper
  1. Slice an onion in half-rings, cut the bell pepper into strips and grate or mince the garlic. In a bowl combine the soy sauce, ginger syrup, sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, chili powder and curry powder.

Chop the pork chops in thin strips. Heat 1 or 2 tbsp high-heat cooking oil and sauté the onion and bell pepper over really high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Until the onion starts to brown lightly. Keep moving the vegetables.

Remove the onion and bell pepper from the pan, heat a little more oil and cook the pork strips for 3 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds before you add the onions and pepper again. Pour in the sauce and let it simmer for 5 minutes, over really high heat. The sauce will cook down and stick to the pork and vegetables. Stir now and then.

Serve with Chinese fried rice, praw crackers and green beans.
copyright © kayotickitchen.com

This look so delicious, can’t wait to try it. I can’t find ginger syrup, but I have a ginger marinade, do you think that would work just as well?
      Love the new site by the way, very fresh and clear.

Helga on Mar 30, 2010 @ 9:18 pm Reply

Thanks for the great recipe.  I like that you use fresh ingredients for a quick recipe.

Brad on Mar 30, 2010 @ 11:01 pm Reply

Hi

I just made if for my wife. It was excellent.
      Luky I had some pasta left for the kid because it was really spicy. Was it supposed to be or did I use to much chilli powder?
      Anyway, excellent suggestion and thank you for your fantastic website

Bruno on Mar 31, 2010 @ 7:41 pm Reply

I love the step by step pictures on how to do your recipe! It looks so great. I admire you for making a very good dish out of your porkchops and some spices you have at hand. You did a great job and I am planning to try this recipe soon. Thank you for sharing!

Kathy on Apr 1, 2010 @ 3:07 am Reply

its Keropok

x on Apr 5, 2010 @ 11:09 am Reply

@X:

Both spellings are right, depending on where you are in the world. In Holland it’s called Kroepoek.

Kay on Apr 5, 2010 @ 11:12 am Reply

Wij hebben dit vanavond gegeten en wat was het héérlijk!! Het scheelde weinig of we hadden onze vingers erbij op gegeten :-)

Tam on Apr 19, 2010 @ 8:46 pm Reply

Oh this was so good. Make my own Ginger Syrup because I didn’t have any and everything just turned out delicious. I’m already looking forward to left-overs for lunch tomorrow.
      Groetjes van Renate

Renate on May 18, 2010 @ 1:46 am Reply

PS I made it with the Chinese Fried Rice, I used brown rice and it was really yummy.
      Renate

Renate on May 18, 2010 @ 1:48 am Reply

This looks really good and I plan on trying it this week.
      I make Ginger Syrup all the time to make my own ginger ale when added to soda/mineral water, or over snow to make snow cones or whenever anyones gets sick in the house. It is good for nausea and also good for colds and flus.
      Here is how I do it and you get a nice intense syrup. The measurements are approximate.  Roughly chop up 1/2 lb (225g) of ginger and place in sauce pan with 2 c (500ml ) water. Place lid and bring to boil and then leave on a low simmer for 15-20min. Strain out ginger and put the liquid back in the sauce pan. Dip a wooden chop stick into the ginger liquid and then use this as your guideline to simmer the liquid (no lid) to half the original volume. That should be 1 c. (250 ml) or so. Add 1 cup (equal to the volume of liquid) in sugar and stir till dissolved. That’s it. Store in the fridge. I find this lasts just about forever but we use it up pretty fast.

Sabra on Jun 21, 2010 @ 8:37 pm Reply

Excellent site and recipe. Will have my husband try it on “you get to cook” night.

heather on Jun 22, 2010 @ 3:13 am Reply

I made this recipe… Now my friends call me the Jamy Oliver from Rotterdam,,,I am sorry I did not tell them where I get this recipe.
      Thanks for all the great recipes

Marco

Marco on Dec 9, 2010 @ 10:01 pm Reply

So I recently found ginger syrup, and will soon be on a mission to make this dish happen after having on my brain for about 4 months. =)

Jenna on Jan 7, 2011 @ 10:48 pm Reply

Hi kay! I looooove your recipes! I made your drumsticks for my boyfriends 19th B-day and he LOVED it (and he’s really hard to please..) well anyway, my question is: for how many people are your recipes made? 2 or 4?
      thanks a lot (=
      -Lea

Lea on Feb 17, 2011 @ 10:16 pm Reply

I just made this yummy dish, I also did not have Ginger Syrup so I used my homemade Raspberry syrup and added a little ginger powder.. Thank you, we love it…

Penny on Aug 8, 2011 @ 4:48 am Reply

Delicious food. I didn’t like bell pepper that much but the next time I add an extra bell pepper. Cooked this way it’s fantastic.  Thanks.

Marina on Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:15 pm Reply

This was EXTREMELY delicious. served it, as suggested, with Chinese fried rice, and it WAS ALL off the charts. my boyfriend, who is a picky eater, absolutely loved it too! the leftovers disappeared very quickly next day. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Evita on Nov 29, 2012 @ 7:34 pm Reply

Great recipe! Tried it without ginger syrup and now I keep wondering what it would be like with. ;)

Markus on Dec 28, 2012 @ 1:06 pm Reply

Made this a second time last evening, Thanks so much for this very easy but so tastefull recipe. Ever thought of publishing all this good stuff into a book? I will certainly buy one!

CB on Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:40 am Reply