Apr 8, 2010

Lazy Sunday Casserole

The name kinda says it all, doesn’t it? Here’s my lazy Sunday casserole, one that will surely give your taste buds a lift. Casseroles are perfect for cool nights, and even though the days are warming up now that it’s spring, the nights can still be chilly around my neck of the woods.

The vegetables may vary—depending on what’s in my fridge—but somehow there’s always sausage, potatoes and carrots. The Italian herbs give it a real nice kick while the balsamic gives it a sweet, but slight tangy after taste. Simple and easy comfort food, especially for my little man. Just relax, kick back and let your oven do the work!

4 sausages (beef or pork)
1 pound potatoes
1/2 pound carrots
1/2 bell pepper
1 large onion
1 fennel bulb
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar

I still get all giddy inside seeing all kinds of colorful veggies displayed. I was, am and will always be a major veg-o-holic.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well. Looks so fresh green.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Red is good. Red is really good. Slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Place everything in a big roasting tray. I cheated and bought pre-grated and pre-cut carrots *hangs head in shame*.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Pour this witches’ brew all over your veggies and toss them around a bit.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Season with a generous amount of salt (kosher salt would be great) and cracked black pepper.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

That gives you plenty time to brown the sausages. No need to cook them all the way through, just lightly brown them.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Slice each sausage in half. I’ve used half pork/ half beef sausages btw. You can also use Italian sausage or any type of flavored sausage.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

Take it out after 15 minutes, flip over those sausages and ladle some of the juices lurking at the bottom all over the vegetables and sausages. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time, until everything is nice and brown.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

This is good food. Comfort food. Healthy, hearty and wholesome, exactly how I like it.

Kay’s Recipe Card

Click here for printable size.

Lazy Sunday Casserole
  • 4 sausages (beef or pork)
    1 pound potatoes
    1/2 pound carrots
    1/2 bell pepper
    1 large onion
    1 fennel bulb
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp oil
    freshly cracked black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3 to 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  1. Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces. Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges. Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well and slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips and put everything in a big roasting tray.

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth and pour it over the vegetables. Toss them around to make sure the broth gets everywhere. Season with a generous amount of salt and black pepper.

Cover the tray with aluminum foil and pop it in a preheated oven. Bake at 450F (225C) for 45 minutes. Lightly brown the sausages and slice each sausage in half. After 45 minutes the potatoes and vegetables should be fork tender. If they’re not, cover the tray with the foil and pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes. If they are fork tender, place the sausages in there and pour the balsamic vinegar all over. Place the tray back in the oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.

copyright © kayotickitchen.com

i made this tonight and it was yummy! I’m not too familiar with fennel so I just left it out. My veggies didn’t really brown but they definitely carmelized… mMm!! & man… The balsamic vinegar is awesome with this dish! Can’t wait to make it again. Thanks for sharing!

Tammie on Oct 31, 2014 @ 8:01 am Reply

Just finished inhaling this! WHOA! We all loved it (kids included). I didn’t have peppers or leeks so I didn’t add those, wonder how much impact that had. But I did add huge mushrooms that I halved and added when I added the beer brats I used. I made sure to get them down in the juice so they wouldn’t dry out. It was a fantastic addition. This is going into our rotation (between a picky husband and a gluten free kid…I need all the new ideas I can get!).

Heather on Nov 15, 2014 @ 11:37 pm Reply

I have made this several times for my family it is a favorite of ours! We use turkey sausage though because I am sensative to a lot of preservatives.

Cara on Dec 16, 2014 @ 12:46 am Reply

I have made this 4 times. I have given a copy of the recipe, website included, 6 times. Every person who has tried it loves it! My dear brother in law said it was the best casserole he ever ate and he’s 65. This is a winner with me and with my circle of friends. Thank you for sharing it. I have varied the types of balsamic I used and it changes the flavor. So far we liked a dark balsamic with walnut the best. Keep posting. Hugs to you.

Carol on Jan 29, 2015 @ 7:41 pm Reply

This is one of my favorite meals ever!! I put my own little spin on the seasoning (extra balsamic and a few cumin) but the key to make this great meal off the charts is prepping the day before and letting the veggies sit in the broth overnight. OMG!!!!

Jennifer Ragan on Feb 17, 2015 @ 1:03 am Reply

Just one word – YUM. Thanks for the recipe, will be making this again!

Michele on Feb 23, 2015 @ 6:07 pm Reply

I love anything easy. This was perfect. Who thought balsamic vinegar would do such a wonder! My family loved it! Appreciate the printable recipe, it has gone into my file of frequent recipes!

Shauna on Mar 17, 2015 @ 11:59 pm Reply

Thanks for a great recipe. I made it tonight for dinner and it was a hit.

Wanda on Mar 19, 2015 @ 4:52 am Reply

I used vegetarian sausage and it turned out so yummy, thanks for the recipe :)

Laura MacDougall on Apr 26, 2015 @ 6:26 pm Reply

Made this for my husband tonight, we couldn’t find any fresh fennel so I subbed cabbage wedges, it was so so good! My husband loved it and requested that I make it at least every other week. The balsamic really makes it! I used hot Italian sausage and the flavors were just spot on. Thank you!!

Amanda on Apr 27, 2015 @ 2:42 am Reply

Looks like a must try dish!!

Diane Forbes on May 17, 2015 @ 3:16 pm Reply

Girlfriend and I have been making this dish now for over a year. One of our absolute favourites. We’ve used all sorts of meats and all sorts of Veggies. So many yums.

Raymond Mackenzie on May 26, 2015 @ 1:08 am Reply

Hi Kay, mixing up your recipe right now and just curious why you chose chicken broth? Could you use beef?

Leanne on Jul 15, 2015 @ 10:32 pm Reply

There were no juices. Everything dried up.

Wendy on Aug 5, 2015 @ 10:56 pm Reply
      1. Unfortunately I can’t keep an eye on people’s ovens and not every oven is calibrated the same as mine, so you’ll have to keep an eye on what it is you’re cooking while you’re cooking it :)

Kay on Aug 9, 2015 @ 12:26 pm Reply

Love this recipe and made it probably a hundred times!!! I’ve recently become vegetarian. Any ideas to sub the sausage to make veg?? Other then a faux meat sausage. Those things are awful!!

Christina on Aug 9, 2015 @ 6:37 pm Reply

I love this recipe! I make it all the time. I make it for my family, and for my friends. It is always a success. The only thing that I changed is the broth mixture. I double it up. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe! My family thanks you too:)

Cathy on Aug 16, 2015 @ 1:23 am Reply

Can I substitute chicken? Have u tried that

Heather on Aug 18, 2015 @ 1:21 am Reply

We made this recipe this weekend. It was so good. We will make it again. Thanks for sharing! :)

Boni on Oct 5, 2015 @ 6:12 pm Reply

I have been making this dish for four or so years now. It is always a hit and a go to for our family. Thank you.

Erika on Nov 19, 2015 @ 10:19 pm Reply

I assume this serves 4?

Anita on Feb 14, 2016 @ 8:59 pm Reply

Hey, I made the Lazy Sunday Casserole again this past evening. I finally got it looking just like your pictures.
      It’s so delicious, and a favorite now.

Gene on Apr 14, 2016 @ 9:20 am Reply

I have made this so many times, it is my go to for farm dinners out in the field, everyone who has tried it has absolutely loved it! Thank you for a great and easy recipe!!

Alyce on Jun 9, 2016 @ 4:18 pm Reply

I know you post this recipe awhile ago, but i found it, i think, 2 years ago. Since then i make this at least 1-2 times a month. Tonight is a lazy sunday night. Thank you very very much for make our diners special!

Greeting from Holland.

Sandra on Nov 6, 2017 @ 5:10 pm Reply

Could this be made in a crock pot?

Rebecca on Dec 4, 2017 @ 12:23 am Reply