Apr 8, 2010

Lazy Sunday Casserole

The name kinda says it all, doesn’t it? Here’s my lazy Sunday casserole, one that will surely give your taste buds a lift. Casseroles are perfect for cool nights, and even though the days are warming up now that it’s spring, the nights can still be chilly around my neck of the woods.

The vegetables may vary—depending on what’s in my fridge—but somehow there’s always sausage, potatoes and carrots. The Italian herbs give it a real nice kick while the balsamic gives it a sweet, but slight tangy after taste. Simple and easy comfort food, especially for my little man. Just relax, kick back and let your oven do the work!

4 sausages (beef or pork)
1 pound potatoes
1/2 pound carrots
1/2 bell pepper
1 large onion
1 fennel bulb
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar

I still get all giddy inside seeing all kinds of colorful veggies displayed. I was, am and will always be a major veg-o-holic.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well. Looks so fresh green.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Red is good. Red is really good. Slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Place everything in a big roasting tray. I cheated and bought pre-grated and pre-cut carrots *hangs head in shame*.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Pour this witches’ brew all over your veggies and toss them around a bit.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Season with a generous amount of salt (kosher salt would be great) and cracked black pepper.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

That gives you plenty time to brown the sausages. No need to cook them all the way through, just lightly brown them.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Slice each sausage in half. I’ve used half pork/ half beef sausages btw. You can also use Italian sausage or any type of flavored sausage.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

Take it out after 15 minutes, flip over those sausages and ladle some of the juices lurking at the bottom all over the vegetables and sausages. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time, until everything is nice and brown.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

This is good food. Comfort food. Healthy, hearty and wholesome, exactly how I like it.

Kay’s Recipe Card

Click here for printable size.

Lazy Sunday Casserole
  • 4 sausages (beef or pork)
    1 pound potatoes
    1/2 pound carrots
    1/2 bell pepper
    1 large onion
    1 fennel bulb
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp oil
    freshly cracked black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3 to 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  1. Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces. Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges. Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well and slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips and put everything in a big roasting tray.

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth and pour it over the vegetables. Toss them around to make sure the broth gets everywhere. Season with a generous amount of salt and black pepper.

Cover the tray with aluminum foil and pop it in a preheated oven. Bake at 450F (225C) for 45 minutes. Lightly brown the sausages and slice each sausage in half. After 45 minutes the potatoes and vegetables should be fork tender. If they’re not, cover the tray with the foil and pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes. If they are fork tender, place the sausages in there and pour the balsamic vinegar all over. Place the tray back in the oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.

copyright © kayotickitchen.com

Thank you, love your recipe card!

Snowmanlover on Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:37 pm Reply

This looks delicious!  I’m making it tomorrow or the next, bought all the ingredients today.  One question… the spoon? I think it’s a spoon is missing a handle.  My husband and I are perplexed.  Is it a spoon?  Where’d the handle go?  :)

Freda on Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:14 am Reply
      1. It’s hidden underneath a grilled onion :)

Kay on Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:06 am Reply

Loved this recipe. Tasty, healthy and easy! My favorite sausage that I used was Chicken Parmesan from our local store, Sprouts, which is a store that sells farmers market foods. Thanks for sharing this great recipe :)

Stephanie on Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:04 am Reply

oh, and i believe that fennel is the same as sweet anise? That’s what I used because I could not find anything labeled fennel, and I was told it was the same thing!

Stephanie on Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:09 am Reply

Made this tonight for my husband and parents.  We all LOVED it!  Thank you so much.  Love the recipe card too.  It’s a keeper!  :)

Heather on Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:21 am Reply

Could you make this recipe in the slow cooker?

Lauren on Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:51 am Reply

Made for company and everyone loved it, even the kiddos! This recipe was added to my all time favorites!

Toni on Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:30 am Reply

About how many adult servings does this dish make?

Kristi on May 14, 2012 @ 2:52 am Reply

What’s the name of the sausage you used? It looks like what we in America call, ‘Italian Sausage’. But now I live in Germany, and there are so many varieties, I just cant find the ‘right’ ‘Italian Sausage.’ Thanks!

Govi on May 22, 2012 @ 7:50 pm Reply
      1. These were just regular sausages, but Italian sausages would be perfect for this as well!

Kay on May 23, 2012 @ 7:27 am Reply

Made this last weekend.  Easy to make and we all Loved it!!! Will use this recipe again. Now I am looking for more recipes to use. Thanks for sharing!

Lara on Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:53 pm Reply

Have you ever subbed sweet potatoes in for white potatoes? If so, did you do anything differently? Thx!

Liz on Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:26 pm Reply

I cooked this tonight for my husband and son…they did not save any for our daughter!  It was fabulous.  I did not use bell peppers, because I do not like them.  I added cabbage because I like it.  We used a chicken and mozzarella sausage (which was lower in fat).  The flavors in the sausage were just enhanced by the herbs and spices used.  The balsamic vinegar is the crowning glory.  Thank you!

Joyfulmadre on Jun 10, 2012 @ 2:29 am Reply

Thank you so much for this recipe, I have cooked it several times already, my family loves it and I love how good it smell all over the house. One of my favorite recipes ever!

Patricia on Jun 12, 2012 @ 5:27 am Reply

I’ll be trying this recipe, however, I’ll be changing it up to satisfy Cajun appetites!  Cajun seasoning instead of the Italian seasonings and Kielbasa for the beef/pork sausages…and no vinegar…but adding in some green onions and tad of celery.
      Thanks for the idea!!!

Beckee on Jun 21, 2012 @ 2:30 pm Reply

Plan on making this tonight.  Just wondering what else can you make to go with it.

Courtney on Jun 26, 2012 @ 4:39 pm Reply

I tried this tonight (minus the fennel bulb) and it was amazing!!! My daughter who practically eats nothing ate a whole serving and wanted to know if we could have leftovers!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!

Lindsay on Jun 29, 2012 @ 5:03 am Reply

OMG I made it tonite for my kids 18-22. Added mushrooms… left out the fennel and also cheated with a whole pre-cooked chicken that I cut up and add at the end. The sausage and chicken together awesome..They cleaned their plates and asked when I can make it again

Robert on Jun 30, 2012 @ 1:01 am Reply

Just put this in the oven and it smells sooooo good! I goofed and accidently added the vinegar with the cooking juices so hope that doesn’t mess it up! I’m drooling smelling it though lol!

Kim on Jul 1, 2012 @ 1:49 am Reply

My first time ever cooking with a fennel bulb, It smells divine and tastes even better. I added a couple Tbsp of red wine because I was a little short on balsamic vinegar and it is delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

HeyDay on Jul 14, 2012 @ 5:19 am Reply

I have made this recipe twice already and it is AMAZING!! At first I did not think there would be enough liquid and flavoring in the recipe but was I wrong! LOVE THIS!!

Tracy on Jul 16, 2012 @ 1:20 am Reply

This was so yummy! I made it tonight, but because it was 100 degrees outside I didn’t want to turn my oven on so I made some changes and it came out great. I boiled the potatoes and carrots for about 5-7 minutes just till they were somewhat soft. While those boiled I got all the other veggies together and ready along with the the seasoning. I places all the veggies in a frying pan and poured the chicken broth mixture over it. While I did that I headed up my precooked sausage on another skillet with a little olive oil. Then I mixed it all together added a little more chicken stock as it cooked down and the the balsamic vinegar. Super Yummy and I didn’t have to turn the oven one…even better for this lazy Sunday!

Esther on Jul 23, 2012 @ 5:59 am Reply

I made this for family dinner tonight and everyone loved it!  They said the flavor was so good!  Thank you for sharing!!

Lora on Aug 6, 2012 @ 7:30 am Reply

I also added parsnips and sweet potatoes in chunks to ours today and used ground deer sausage to it rather than the long kind you show. YUM!

Kerstin on Aug 16, 2012 @ 5:27 pm Reply