Apr 8, 2010

Lazy Sunday Casserole

The name kinda says it all, doesn’t it? Here’s my lazy Sunday casserole, one that will surely give your taste buds a lift. Casseroles are perfect for cool nights, and even though the days are warming up now that it’s spring, the nights can still be chilly around my neck of the woods.

The vegetables may vary—depending on what’s in my fridge—but somehow there’s always sausage, potatoes and carrots. The Italian herbs give it a real nice kick while the balsamic gives it a sweet, but slight tangy after taste. Simple and easy comfort food, especially for my little man. Just relax, kick back and let your oven do the work!

4 sausages (beef or pork)
1 pound potatoes
1/2 pound carrots
1/2 bell pepper
1 large onion
1 fennel bulb
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar

I still get all giddy inside seeing all kinds of colorful veggies displayed. I was, am and will always be a major veg-o-holic.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well. Looks so fresh green.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Red is good. Red is really good. Slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Place everything in a big roasting tray. I cheated and bought pre-grated and pre-cut carrots *hangs head in shame*.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Pour this witches’ brew all over your veggies and toss them around a bit.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Season with a generous amount of salt (kosher salt would be great) and cracked black pepper.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

That gives you plenty time to brown the sausages. No need to cook them all the way through, just lightly brown them.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

Slice each sausage in half. I’ve used half pork/ half beef sausages btw. You can also use Italian sausage or any type of flavored sausage.

Lazy Sunday Casserole

Take it out after 15 minutes, flip over those sausages and ladle some of the juices lurking at the bottom all over the vegetables and sausages. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time, until everything is nice and brown.
Lazy Sunday Casserole

This is good food. Comfort food. Healthy, hearty and wholesome, exactly how I like it.

Kay’s Recipe Card

Click here for printable size.

Lazy Sunday Casserole
  • 4 sausages (beef or pork)
    1 pound potatoes
    1/2 pound carrots
    1/2 bell pepper
    1 large onion
    1 fennel bulb
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp oil
    freshly cracked black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3 to 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  1. Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut each potato in four pieces. Peel one large or two smaller onions and cut them in wedges. Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and turn that one into wedges as well and slice 1/2 to 1 bell pepper in strips and put everything in a big roasting tray.

Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, grated or chopped garlic, and chicken broth and pour it over the vegetables. Toss them around to make sure the broth gets everywhere. Season with a generous amount of salt and black pepper.

Cover the tray with aluminum foil and pop it in a preheated oven. Bake at 450F (225C) for 45 minutes. Lightly brown the sausages and slice each sausage in half. After 45 minutes the potatoes and vegetables should be fork tender. If they’re not, cover the tray with the foil and pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes. If they are fork tender, place the sausages in there and pour the balsamic vinegar all over. Place the tray back in the oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.

copyright © kayotickitchen.com

Another successful dinner, thank you so much for another great dinner. I believe I’m actually starting to lose weight ;-)

Groetjes van Renate

Renate on May 17, 2010 @ 4:39 am Reply

I made this today and it was divine!!! Even my vegetable-hating husband loved it!!!  Thank you!!!

Lisa Alexander on Jul 1, 2010 @ 1:04 am Reply

Tried this last night and loved it!  We also added chicken breast season with italian herbs.  Thanks!

Kevin Foster on Jul 9, 2011 @ 6:48 pm Reply

Do you use uncooked sausages (as opposed to the pre-cooked kind)? It seems so but I just want to clarify.

Beth on Sep 17, 2011 @ 6:51 pm Reply

We just enjoyed this for dinner!  We needed more chicken broth to make the veggies moist – but overall it was wonderful.  We’ll certainly make it again :)

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:35 am Reply

I came across this recipe on Pinterest and it was amazing!  Next time I think I’ll add in some fresh mushrooms.  I think this would also be easy to increase to feed a large group.  You’re really only limited by the size of the pan you have.

Mrs Gamgee on Oct 19, 2011 @ 4:00 am Reply

Made this tonight and my kids fought over the last few veggies – very easy and yummy, thanks!

Vera on Dec 17, 2011 @ 4:00 am Reply

I made this tonight, but after the 45 minutes all of the juices were gone…maybe more chicken broth next time? It smells delicious and my husband and I are looking forward to trying it in a few minutes!

RB on Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:30 am Reply

I have prepped this tonight and will pop in the oven tomorrow. I used fresh herbs (thyme, basil, oregano) in the oil/broth mixture and it’s all tossed and ready to go. The sausages I picked are blueberry and cinnamon, which sounds strange but will add to the adventure of the balsamic. Thanks for the recipe, I found it on Pinterest.

ashley on Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:32 am Reply

Made this this weekend…LOVED!!!  My husband and I love veggies and this was a great meal for veggie lovers!!!!  I also added celery and seasoned salt.

PERFECT, and will definitely be a regular in our house!!  Thank you for sharing!

Jill on Jan 30, 2012 @ 8:45 pm Reply

Tried this tonight….it is amazing!!!  Never had fennel before…it’s yummy.  Different taste then anything I have made before…but I love it!  Will definitely make this again!  Thank you!

Susan Macfarlane on Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:53 am Reply

I made this last night, and it was AMAZING! I am unfamiliar with fennel bulb and couldn’t find it at the store, so I left it out.  I did add some baby portobello mushrooms because I had to use them up.  My husband loved this recipe, too. He is still talking about it.  Thanks for this!

Natalie on Feb 15, 2012 @ 8:33 pm Reply

Stumbled upon this from Pinterest and may I say that,

1. That looks absolutely wonderful, I’m trying it tomorrow for some friends.

2. I LOVE the way you took pictures of everything and explained it so well. It seems rather straightforward, but I found it oh so much more pleasant to read than other blogs I’ve seen.

Thanks!

Melissa on Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:15 am Reply

Thanks for deciding what to have for dinner tonight!

Trixie Wilkie on Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:14 pm Reply

I found this recipe last week on Pinterest. I have made it TWICE since then! It is so Delicious & So easy!! Definatley my New Favorite!!

Tavan Harpster on Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:32 pm Reply

I’m not a big fennel fan, do you think this would work with mushrooms or would they add too much liquid? what do you think of butternut squash in there too?

MF on Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:36 pm Reply
      1. Somehow I don’t think mushrooms will work very well in this casserole. When given the choice, I’d go for butternut squash,

Kay on Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:49 pm Reply

I made this and wrote about it <a href=”http://tomatoesforapples.blogspot.com/2012/03/lazy-sunday-casserole.html”>here</a>.  I loved it, but my husband wasn’t too keen on the fennel.  The next time I make it I plan on swapping the fennel out for parnsips or maybe sweet potato.  Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.  I’ll definitely be making it again!

mrsblocko on Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:03 pm Reply

What… is that spoon thing?  It appears to be hovering on its own.

It’s scaring me.

Ben on Mar 24, 2012 @ 11:26 pm Reply
      1. Now that you mentioned it, I looked ar the photo again. Whoa, it does look freaky. No idea where the handle went in the photo :)

Edit: gave it a closer look and the handle is covered by that piece onion at the top left!

Kay on Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:42 am Reply

My hubby isn’t very big on sausage. Could I use chicken instead?

Misty on Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:33 pm Reply