May 2, 2009

Kaytucky Chicken

I have a really fun recipe for you! And easy, too. It’s hardly any work; the oven does the work for you, but it’s a really fun and tasty way to serve chicken for a change. Serve with an Avocado & Fennel Salad, lots of skillet baked potatoes and a little Green Peppercorn Sauce, but that’s mainly because I’m seriously addicted to how the sauce tastes on potatoes.

This was absolutely delicious!

4 chicken fillets
4 frozen puff pastry sheets
4 oz cream cheese (the firm kind)
few rashes of bacon
flat-leaf parsley
1 spring onion
1 large egg
pepper
salt

This is what we call ontbijtspek here. It’s kinda like bacon, only much salter. They come in small portions. I’ve cooked four thin slices and drained them on a paper towel. I’m not using too much, but feel free to add as much bacon as you like.

I’ve also chopped a spring onion with my cute orange baby Santoku.

And I’ve finely chopped a small handful of flat-leaf parsley. Gotta love the stuff. You can use any herb you like, though.

Add the spring onions, parsley, crumbled up bacon and a good pinch of pepper to 4 oz firm cream cheese; I’ve opted for low-fat cream cheese.

Mix it all up. Adding a little garlic, chili pepper and/or grated cheese also tastes great! Just go wild! Think of fun combinations.

Make a fairly deep cut in each chicken fillet. And spread 1/4 of the cream mixture in there.

My puff pastry sheets were fairly small, so I’ve used two for each chicken fillet. I kinda stuck them together, and flattened them a little with my dough pin.

Until I ended up with puff pastry looking like this.

Place the chicken on top of the puff pastry, with the cream cheese side down. Season the chicken with a generous amount of salt and pepper.

Beat a large egg, and brush a little on the edges of the puff pastry.

Just fold them until you end up with small packages. The egg will function as a glue. Lightly brush the top of the puff pastry with the egg as well.

Pop them in a preheated oven, and bake at 400F (200C) for 30 to 35 minutes.

These were so good. The flavors together just worked. Even the kiddo loved them, and that’s saying a lot these days.

Kay’s Recipe Card

Click here for printable size.

Looks great. I’m going to give it a try. Glad to have found your blog.

Pike Sullivan on May 5, 2009 @ 3:21 pm Reply

This looked so good I am making it tonight (in the oven as I type)! Thanks for yet another GREAT recipe!

Meghan on May 7, 2009 @ 4:14 am Reply

Yum, yum, yum! Made them tonight with fresh basil, garlic, and left over pie crust dough. Definitely a keeper!

AlaskaTeacher on May 7, 2009 @ 5:50 am Reply

Hi Kay, I made these last night and they were delicious! I ran out of bacon though so I wrapped the chicken in ham instead before wrapping it in the puff pastry. Yum. Thanks for the great recipe!

Rita (NYC) on May 7, 2009 @ 7:17 pm Reply

Thank you for tonight’s dinner! I had to improvise a little but it was delicious. I didn’t use the bacon, used chives and garlic and it was really good. Thanks again.

jean on May 10, 2009 @ 4:19 am Reply

We had this for dinner tonight and it was excellent. Next time I will put the chicken on a rack as I had alot of liquid in the baking dish which made the bottom soggy. Maybe it was because I used the spreadable cream cheese. Who knows. It was still YUMMY. Will make this again!

Randi on May 10, 2009 @ 5:55 am Reply

Simply wonderful! I made this tonight for dinner and is was easy to make and tasted like I had spent all day in the kitchen. Even my picky eaters had seconds and I have leftovers for lunch. I made the mistake of cooking them up on racks since the previous poster said something about soggy bottoms. Unfortunately this made the puff pastry stick and tore the bottom off, but it was good all the same.

Christina on May 12, 2009 @ 3:24 am Reply

These look so good I want to cry. They are surely not Jenny Craig approved.

AJ on May 22, 2009 @ 10:15 pm Reply

You love the color orange about as much as I think I am going to love this chicken! Thank you very much for what looks like an awesomely tasty treat.

Carlito on May 24, 2009 @ 9:17 pm Reply

Thank you, Kay! I served this recipe tonight and my man _loved_ it!

I’m still a relatively amateur cook, so I wasn’t even aware of the puff pastry sheets- they’re amazing! I can think of so many uses for them. My pastry sheets were thawed and room temperature, so they browned a little more than I would’ve liked on the bottom. In the future I’ll be sure to chill them first.

This was delicious. I’m off to check out the rest of your site! Thanks again!

Amanda on May 25, 2009 @ 2:16 am Reply

Hi, Kay! Can you tell me if you’re taking your own photos or is someone with you in the kitchen taking them? I’m amazed at the quality of your photos and consistency in color and lighting throughout. Any tips?

Maylo Harding on May 25, 2009 @ 3:19 am Reply

@Maylo Harding:

I always take my own photos. I’m a picky photographer, and don’t trust anyone with my camera for a food posting. I have a style of my own, and it wouldn’t be realistic for me to expect someone else to shoot in my style. There’s seldom someone in the kitchen with me, and if there is… I’m using their hands :)

Since I always use real light I’m very dependant on special hours of the day in which I can shoot a posting, I mainly shoot at noon so I kinda know what type of light I’ll have then. Tips are hard to give, because it really depends on where and what you’re shooting.

Kay on May 25, 2009 @ 8:36 am Reply

@Ms Constantine:

If you don’t mind, I’ll remove your comment. It’s a really gross thing to read on a food blog.

Kay on May 25, 2009 @ 11:06 am Reply

This recipes looks simply delicious. Your photos are wonderful, and you make the preparations look so easy! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Sithean on May 25, 2009 @ 7:35 pm Reply

I don’t mean to be naughty, but those cut chicken fillets look like… erm…
      You know what I mean! hehehe.
      Looks delicious, by the way.

dudley on May 28, 2009 @ 10:19 am Reply

I am sorry to tell you but I made this without success. First you didn’t say what kind of pan to put these on and I think that’s important. I set my oven at 400F and my oven is calibrated at 400F. The chicken was fully cooked but the puff pastry never got done inside, even after baking it much longer. I believe there should be a note to “vent” the pastry to let steam out. I used three chicken fillets and the full filling amount and it wasn’t enough because most of it baked away. Has anyone else tried to make this?

Indigobleu on May 29, 2009 @ 2:49 am Reply

@Indigobleu:

I’m sorry to hear that! Reading the comments and judging by the emails I received several people made these and they came out perfect. I don’t use a pan, I just popped them on a baking sheet.

I roll out the puff pastry, you can also see that in the photos, so it’s a thin layer. If yours has to be cooked on the inside and still isn’t done after this time, perhaps the pastry was still a little too thick? If the filling baked away, you might want to seal the edges of the package a little more!

Kay on May 29, 2009 @ 7:27 am Reply

Thank you for answering about the pan, a couple of others were also confused — even using a rack. I will try this again.

Indigobleu on May 29, 2009 @ 6:52 pm Reply

It has been said a million times already but.. WOW! These look delicious and I will definitely be attempting to make these in the near future! I too am glad I stumbled upon your site! :) And those little recipe cards are too darn cute!

Casey Jane on May 30, 2009 @ 2:30 am Reply

It is my favorite dish. You have shown wonderful method to cook it. Now, I need to taste it.

Recipe Cooking Tips on May 30, 2009 @ 9:05 am Reply

A stuffed chicken wrapped in light anf flaky golden brown pastry sounds so good!

Kevin on May 30, 2009 @ 9:19 pm Reply

Kay: this was grrrreat! I made it for supper tonight. It was a hit! I too had problems with the pastry not cooking completely but for the most part, it was nice and flaky. Next time, I will take your advice and just use a cookie sheet. Def a make-again. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Tiff on May 31, 2009 @ 1:13 am Reply

@Tiff:

I made mini versions earlier this week, that really worked, too!

I thought about it, and then it hit me. You might think it’s undercooked, but it could be is the cream cheese running everywhere when it melts making the dough a little soggier, so it seems as if the pastry isn’t cooked completely. Especially when the pastry is a thicker.

Kay on May 31, 2009 @ 9:30 am Reply

What beautiful pictures~and recipe. I found your site through StumbleUpon and am glad they sent me here. I will definitely bookmark your blog.

Lani on Jun 1, 2009 @ 8:07 am Reply