Nov 16, 2008

Dutch Winter Stew

It’s Sunday, just got back from a long walk in the park before the bad weather is supposed to set in. I have plenty of free time on my hands, lots of beef in the freezer, stocked up on vegetables, radio tuned in to the best Motown, northern soul music and my munchkin is napping. What more could a girl ask for?

It’s stew time! I love beef, I love vegetables, let’s just mix it all up and create the perfect thick, hearty stew. If this won’t keep you warm, nothing will!

2 pounds beef
1 cup beef broth
1 cup beer
celeriac leaves
3 bay leaves
salt & pepper
thyme

My kind of autumn. Falling leaves, a cold wind and my playing boy closely followed by the comforting smell of a hearty stew.

What a beautiful sight, isn’t it? It really doesn’t matter if they’re bright colored summer vegetables or sober colored winter vegetables, there’s something enticing about seeing them together like this. Judging by the enormous amount of food in still life paintings, I guess I’m not alone.

Now don’t give me that look! Celeriac root is actually a fabulous vegetable! Forgotten, overlooked and frowned upon, but what its flavor does to stews and soups is nothing short of amazing. You really should give it a try, what have you got to lose?

Just cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom, cut the skin off and coarsely chop it.

Use 2 medium or 1 large carrot, peel it and give it a rough chop as well.

Do the same with the onion and grate two cloves of garlic while you’re at it.

Grab a bowl and combine 1 heaping tbsp flour with 1/2 tsp sweet paprika powder and 1/2 tsp curry powder. Give it a good stir.

The meat saga. Just chop it in coarse pieces and add a generous amount of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Here comes the trick, spoon two tbsp coarse mustard on top, dig your hands in there and rub it all over the meat. It wasn’t until I started this foodblog I noticed how much coarse mustard I really use. It’s fantastic stuff.

Now grab yourself a stew pot. Yes, you can use your fancy Le Creuset and even tell me about it, because look what I bought! Isn’t it pretty? No matter how much I wanted one, I simply couldn’t justify spending E139 ($175) on a Le Creuset. Much to my surprise, I ran into this beauty. It’s a Jamie Oliver (Tefal at home series) stew pot, much cheaper than a Le Creuset but with all the same benefits. It came in a beautiful dark rose color and it looks so incredibly sleek and stylish.

Heat 3 tbsp butter and put your meat in there. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the onions. Give it a good stir and cook for another 2 minutes.

It should be smelling pretty darn good at this point, but we’ll up the fragrance a bit. Add the celeriac root, carrots and garlic. Give everything a good stir and cook for another 3 minutes.

After 3 minutes you can throw in the flour mixture. Coat the meat and vegetables with it and let the flour neutralize for about a minute.

Now the next step will be enough to make grown men cry. I want you to traumatize your husband, yes, I really do! Go over there and grab his bottle of beer. No, no arguing, just grab his beer and run with it as fast as you can. If you’ll wait around to see the look of pure horror and shock on his face, you’re probably going to be too late. Now quickly ‘borrow‘ 1 cup of beer. Tell him you’ll get it back to him later. You will!

Strip a few thyme sprigs and throw them in. I’ve used about 4 sprigs.

Pour the beer in with the meat and add 1 cup of beef broth. Make sure you use room temperature beer! Also throw in a good handful of chopped celeriac leaves.

This is what mine looked like before I popped the lid on. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 75 minutes over low heat.

Now go do something fun!

After those 75 glorious ‘me time’ minutes were up, I dragged myself away from my book and went back into the kitchen to cut up a leek.

Also peeled and chopped 3 large potatoes while I was there anyway.

Not to mention I cut a large handful of mushrooms in half. They’re normally not part of this dish, but if I have them around I always put them in. You can also leave the smaller ones whole.

Add everything to the stew, give it all a good stir and check to see if the stew might need a little more liquid. If it does just add a little water.

Simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes, until the potatoes are properly cooked.

Garnish with a little thyme and a generous amount of celeriac leaves and serve with mashed potatoes. Voila, you’re done!

This looks so delicious!

On the menu for tomorrow night.

I really love the pictures of your little guy out side. Perfect!

MommyKnows

mommyknows on Nov 20, 2008 @ 12:14 am Reply

Kay, the stew was deeply satisfying. I couldnt get celeriac here, so I added more potatos with some celery salt-dont ask me why-all I knew is the stomach agreed very well :). The rate I’m going through your recipes, it looks like the menu at home is going to be mimicking yours for some time!

Kavie on Nov 20, 2008 @ 10:24 am Reply

How can I print just your recipes. I love your site but last time I printed a recipe it was 63 pages including all comments. I guess I looking for just a recipe link or something.
      Thanks Bobby

Bobby on Nov 22, 2008 @ 1:39 am Reply

Bobby, below every recipe there’s a printer icon. It takes you to a text only print.

Kay on Nov 22, 2008 @ 8:20 am Reply

Your blog is gorgeous! The photos and layout are so warm, inviting, and yummy :).

Sophie on Dec 4, 2008 @ 9:13 pm Reply

Celeriac root is one of my favorite veggies. I’m so glad you used it in this recipe. My guys complain if it isn’t mashed in with our potatoes.

Obi-Mom Kenobi on Dec 31, 2008 @ 2:05 am Reply

Hola guapa,
      GRACIAS, por esta excelente receta. Hoy voy a hacer este guiso Holándes, ya he comprado los ingredientes y quiero sorprender a mi pareja que es Holándes y regresa hoy de viaje. Yo soy Venezolana y me encanta tu blog ya que a través de este puedo conocer mejor la cocina Holandesa ya que para mi es muy importante aprender acerca de tu cultura. Y me encantan las fotos de paisajes que colocas en cada receta.

Carolina on Jan 21, 2009 @ 3:08 pm Reply

I made this stew for the second time last night – I just love it! Thank you so much for sharing your creations :)

P.S. my boyfriend loved it too but not so much when I took away his beer . . .

Annie Wild on Jan 27, 2009 @ 4:30 pm Reply

Gracias por los elogios, Carolina!

Kay on Jan 29, 2009 @ 9:11 pm Reply

I am going to make this for my birthday and now that North Hollywood has FINALLY gotten cold!!! Maybe my son will try the vegetables.

PB Rippey/sleepless mama on Feb 10, 2009 @ 8:42 pm Reply

Fyi, yes, you can substitute rutabega (aka swede) for the celeriac. Rutabega is another root vegetable with a similar texture to the celeriac, but with a nutty flavor. I love roasted rutabega, especially mixed with other roasted roots. In your lovely stew, you could use a mix of roots for even more flavor….

Michele on Apr 1, 2009 @ 1:53 pm Reply

Kreeg gewoon honger bij het zien van het stoofpot , zal zeker proberen te maken.Dank je.

lia on Oct 29, 2009 @ 9:14 am Reply

Yummy! I have made this several times & LOVE it… I especially love the round of applause it brings about from The Husband. Anyway just wanted to let you know I think it is a GREAT recipe & I’ve blogged about it on my blog:

Because well, in my opinion as many people as possible should know about & try this recipe! :)

xoxo

Ashley Lynn Fry on Jan 7, 2010 @ 12:58 am Reply

Hi Kay – love your site – I am married to a Dutchman so he is thrilled that I happened upon your site – I am originally from England so he usually gets fed all that Brit stuff. Well today I am making your Dutch Winter Stew – took me while to find the celeriac root – they just call it celery root here – anyway smells great – think it is going to taste great as well. Thanks for sharing.   Any easy recipe for Oliebollen and or Beef Croquettes?  I have been to the Netherlands and love your country as well as the food. Thanks again, Yvonne Rutten

Yvonne Rutten on Dec 12, 2010 @ 9:28 pm Reply

Stumbled upon this recipe and it looked so delicious that I had to make it.
      Tasted superb! The only thing is that the carrot and celeriac completely disintegrated. We could taste them and it was yummy; just a pity visually that we couldn’t see them. I think next time (it was so good that there will definitely be a next time), I will put half the carrots and celeriac from the beginning and then add the remaining ones for the last half hour. I don’t know why they mushed up as I cut them the same size as yours.

I will be visiting this blog regularly now. Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe.

Claudia on Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:35 pm Reply
      1. They’re supposed to, in this recipe they almost become part of the gravy and thicken and flavor it. Adding half of them later helps that, if you want them to still be chunky!

Kay on Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:37 pm Reply

Kay, This might be the best beef broth i’ve ever tasted… and I’m still on the step before the leeks and potatoes are added ! I opted to bake it in my dutch oven on 225F instead of simmering on stove top, seems good so far. Also good call on the Northern Soul, good cooking deserves a good soundtrack !

TacomaDude on Oct 18, 2013 @ 3:40 am Reply