Oct 19, 2009

Brussels Sprouts. The Mash.

Here’s a slightly different and more rustic way of eating Brussels sprouts. The Dutch way, so to speak. Definitely my way. Pretty straightforward cooking, no frills, nothing fancy, just food as it was meant to be.

We like to mash our vegetables in with our potatoes and call it stamppot. Gives you a lot of options to boost the flavor. Now I’m blessed with a son whose favorite vegetable happens to be Brussels sprouts—I guess he wasn’t swapped at the hospital after all—so this is a regular dish at our house. I found that kids are more likely to eat their vegetables when they’re mashed in with the potatoes, so give it a try if you have picky eaters. Who knows… they might like it.

Served with sausages, pork tenderloin or Dutch meatballs, bacon bits and gravy this makes for a real hearty and wholesome autumn/winter meal.

2 pounds potatoes
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
1 large onion
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp curry powder
7oz cream cheese
1 cup milk (scant)
1/2 a tsp garlic salt
1/2 a tsp garlic pepper

Optional: bacon bits
Optional: coarse mustard

Peel, wash and cut the potatoes in 4.

Wash the Brussels sprouts. Slice off the stem and remove the outer leaves. Cut the bigger ones in half and leave smaller ones whole.

Finely chop the onion. You could also add some finely minced red bell pepper for a little extra flavor. You’re the boss.

Usually I just grab Boursin—a Dutch herbed cream cheese—and melt that in with the milk. This time I tweaked 7oz low fat cream cheese with 1/2 a tsp Lawry’s garlic salt and 1/2 a tsp garlic pepper.

Normally I like Brussels sprouts with a little bite to them, but not in a hodgepodge. God, I love that word, hodgepodge. Mix the potatoes and sprouts, add 1 garlic clove, salt and enough water to submerge the potatoes and sprouts.

Boil the potatoes and vegetables until tender. This will take about 20 minutes.

Sautee the onions in some butter until soft. It’s okay for them to brown a little. Add 1/4 tsp curry powder and cook for an additional 30 seconds—no longer or the curry powder might go bitter on you.

To me a stamppot is inextricably connected to bacon bits. Real bacon bits, mind you. None of that fake stuff, you hear me!

Pour the milk in with the onions and let the cream cheese melt in there as well. I’ve added a sprinkle of the new Lawry’s 17 seasonings, man, that stuff is addictive. What also works beautifully is adding a little coarse mustard. Gives a nice tang.

As soon as the potatoes are done, drain them and mash them. I like to leave a little structure in there but you can also completely hide the vegetables.

Stir the onion and cream mix in with the potatoes and check the seasoning.

This is so good with bacon and gravy, down to the very last bite. How can people not like Brussels sprouts? *shakes head in total disbelief*

Great way of preparing Brussels sprouts. Never had then that way. Looks delicious.

tobias cooks! on Oct 20, 2009 @ 8:13 pm Reply

I thought Boursin was French…?

Emma on Oct 21, 2009 @ 1:47 am Reply

@Emma:

Boursin is not an actual cheese, it’s more a way of serving (cream) cheese that’s derived from the French tradition of mixing it with things like herbs and garlic. The brand Boursin is now a Dutch product. It has been produced by a Dutch company named Unilever since 1990, I think.

Kay on Oct 21, 2009 @ 8:25 am Reply

Although i am the only Brussels sprouts’ fan in this house, i think i will make this recipe soon…the cook decides what’s on the menu..!

Monique on Oct 24, 2009 @ 7:21 pm Reply

This is certainly a nice way to enjoy some brussels sprouts!

Kevin on Oct 25, 2009 @ 3:42 pm Reply

I am 46 and have avoided those evil little cabbages known as brussels sprouts until last night. My partner made this dish with a roast turkey breast and steamed veggies. I went back for a third helping of the mash. Kay you a Food Goddess! Thank you so much for ending the War of the Sprouts in our home.

Ricci on Oct 31, 2009 @ 8:32 pm Reply

@Kay: Oh, I never implied that Boursin is a cheese. Just that the brand itself is French…which is it. It’s not part of Unilever anymore (which still wouldn’t have made it Dutch). It’s part of Le Groupe Bel. Thought you should know…

Emma on Nov 12, 2009 @ 5:33 pm Reply

hi kay i love your website i live in australia for the last 40 years and have been back to holland very often to my fam.in amsterdam. One thing i do not like in your website is that you pander to the yanks in terms of weight and so on. i find that dissapointing from a nederlandse competent female. i have cooked a few recipes from your site and loved them. since you love cooking have you heard of a food proccesor called thermomix if you have not look it up it is fantastic. i hope i have not insulted you that was not my intension. frans

frans on Dec 16, 2009 @ 7:42 am Reply

@frans:

Hi Frans, I really take issue with you naming that ‘pander to the yanks’. I find that insulting to my American readers and I don’t like that at all. I prefer the American way of cooking, volume cooking, because it’s so much easier than the Dutch way of having to weigh everything. It’s a far more simpler yet way more effective way of cooking, time saving, too. It makes cooking a heck of a lot more fun.

Maybe you should try it. After all, you can only talk about something you’ve tried yourself. And it’s obvious you haven’t.

Kay on Dec 16, 2009 @ 8:38 am Reply

Hi Laura,

Go get a life. You’re a pity and a disgrace to Americans. Why are you trolling this website like some two-cent prostitute on a dirty side street? Sorry but civilized people don’t really like rubbish in their presence.

Is your life really so sad that you have to go terrorize someone from another COUNTRY on the INTERNET? You’re cool NOW!

Pathetic. I hope your children get taken away from you because they sure aren’t getting a good influence.

Nancy on Dec 17, 2009 @ 4:57 pm Reply

Laura, you did it again. Why in the hell are you doing this. I think it is time to go in therapy!!!!!!! A normal person would stop, and you are not normal!!!!!!!!!
      What is it, that you have against the Dutch people, for crying out loud. This is supposed to be a cooking blog. I live in the U.S. and I do not act this way!!!!
      Shameon you!!!!! GET SOME HELP!!!!!!!!

Ingrid Hohn on Dec 17, 2009 @ 10:38 pm Reply

If you buy fresh brussels sprouts, try putting them in the freezer for a while. It might cut down on the bitterness. My mother used to only buy them after the first frost had been over them.

Ingrid Hohn on Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:06 am Reply

Note to Laura:

Yes, your last name is indeed Snow. There’s more to be found on you online (try the gymboree website).

If you want to harrass people online, via email and constantly switch name
      , email address and IP number to do so just because they didn’t agree with you on something, the least you can do is use your own name and link to a valid website. I did that for you. To stalk someone and cower behind the anonimity of the internet so you can leave nasty messages is not a very courageous thing to do.

Laura, you were subscribed to this post so you received the emails, and I saw you tried to reenter the website several times using the IP number I banned (need a screenshot?), so that’s yet again two more lies you’re telling because you were definitely online. The lying is a recurrent thing with you, isn’t it?

Luckily I kept our email exchange so I can actually prove it is you who is lying and twisting things. I have no problem with dissenting opinions, Laura, but I do have a problem with people who are being rude and disrespectful. You are both. The Wilders comment is a very good example of that. You’re also making yourself look foolish when you first accuse me of ‘pandering with the yanks’, as Frans put it, and saying I should move to America and now tell me I have something against foreigners. You’re contradicting yourself here, so which one is it, Laura?

Now please, stop emailing me or leaving me comments in my website or I’ll be forced to contact both your providers again, and hope this time they’ll close down your account.

You need help, Laura, this is seriously unhealthy behavior for a woman your age. Better see to it your Dutch family and friends never find out how you really feel about them because it would be shocking to them, I assure you.

Kay on Dec 20, 2009 @ 11:06 am Reply

@Laura K. (my last name is not SNOW):

Laura, you really are a stalker if you even admit to stalking Kay’s blog and twitter in your comment, just how sick is that?. You’re a disgrace to Americans, it’s women like you that give us American women a bad name. Shame on you.

Cute kids, too bad they’re stuck with an idiot mother, let’s hope it doesn’t rub off on them.

Maria on Dec 20, 2009 @ 1:22 pm Reply

@Laura K. (my last name is not SNOW):

Aan jou kun je duidelijk zien dat niet alle eikels aan een boom hangen. Wat een misselijkmakend akelige vrouw ben jij zeg.

Karin on Dec 20, 2009 @ 1:45 pm Reply

OK Laura, enough of this bullshit!!!!! If I were to act like you,here in the US, they probably would have come to my house, and taken my computer away.
      You see, the Dutch are very tolerant people, with a few exceptions. Here, In the US, they are not. Get a life!!!!!!! Stop coming on this blog, with things, that have nothing to do with cooking!!!!!! But then maybe, you had no clue, that this was a cooking blog. In the beginning, I thought, that there was a misunderstanding between you and Kay, but I changed my mind. You are looking for trouble, so stop it!!!!!!!!

Ingrid Hohn on Dec 20, 2009 @ 3:54 pm Reply

@Ingrid Hohn:

Het is echt heel erg nu. Ze laat 10 comments in 5 minuten achter, emailed me om de 5 minuten en laat zelfs comments achter met mijn naam en adres. We hebben zojuist de politie in Heerlen ingeschakeld. Internet stalking schijnt strafbaar te zijn, en opgenomen in het wetboek van strafrecht.

Gelukkig hebben we haar naam en alle andere persoonlijke gegevens. Moet nu alle emails, comments etc bewaren en uitprinten en aangifte doen.

Kay on Dec 20, 2009 @ 3:59 pm Reply

@Laura Kockelkorn:

I read part of that email exchange you posted and it made you look even more foolish. You’re long-winded and whiney. Kay was far more polite and patiently with you than I would have been or than you properly deserved. You acted like a total fool and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Maria on Dec 20, 2009 @ 6:39 pm Reply

Well, I can’t eat bacon/pork.. I’m thinking of a substitute.. oh well, I might just steam the sprouts, and then put them in the pan with extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic for flavor like I always do with broccoli.

Erdogan on Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:33 am Reply

For the Americans in the crowd, you can find Boursin in the States.  In my neck of the woods, it is available at Trader Joes.  I’m sure it is at Whole Foods as well.

Taryn on Jan 18, 2012 @ 2:58 pm Reply