May 20, 2011

BBQ Potatoes

BBQ Potatoes

This is so simple it doesn’t even qualify as a recipe. But I don’t care, sharing it anyway!

When I whipped up an indecent amount of Sunshine BBQ Chicken, I needed an easy side dish that wouldn’t overrule the flavor of the chicken and could also be prepped in an oven as well… since I know not every one has a Big Green Egg. Yes, I know, you can stop glaring at me now! I’m letting you live vicariously through me, what else can I do?!?

These were so very good. Basic and mellow flavors. A perfect structure, soft potatoes with a crunchy bottom layer. They were buttery without being overly greasy and they were chockfull of flavor.

1 1/2 pound potatoes (equal sized)
1 grated garlic clove or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
chicken or vegetable broth
tiny cubes butter
minced parsley
pepper and salt

Optional: lime or lemon juice

Get your BGE (or oven) going and keep it steady at 350Fº (175Cº).

BBQ Potatoes

BBQ Potatoes

Place a tiny slice of butter on top of each potato. As the potatoes start to cook the butter will melt all over, it’s delicious. Not diet-friendly, but very tasty.
BBQ Potatoes

Maybe I should have called them BBQ Butter Potatoes? Oh well.

BBQ Potatoes

I gave mine almost 10 minutes extra. Mainly because I really like a crunchy brown bottom-layer.
BBQ Potatoes

Sprinkle the potatoes with finely minced parsley and if you really want to up the flavors: squeeze some lime or lemon juice on top. It’s crazy good.
BBQ Potatoes

Note: a BBQ gives far more direct heat than an oven does, so when using your oven you will have to dice the potatoes or adjust the cooking time.

BBQ Potatoes
    1 1/2 pound potatoes (equal sized)
    1 grated garlic clove or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    chicken or vegetable broth
    tiny cubes butter
    minced parsley
    pepper and salt

Optional: lime or lemon juice
    Get your BGE (or oven) going and keep it steady at 350Fº (175Cº).

Use an ovenproof dish. Place the peeled and washed (even-sized) potatoes in there and make sure they fit snuggly together. Add the grated garlic or powder to the broth and heat it for a minute to get the flavors going. Pour hot broth in there until there’s about 1 inch of broth in the dish and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top of the potatoes.

Place a tiny slice of butter on top of each potato. As the potatoes start to cook the butter will melt all over. Place the dish in your BBQ or oven and give them 35 to 40 minutes. Check them for readiness. If you like a crunchy brown bottom-layer give them 5 to 10 minutes extra.

Sprinkle the potatoes with the minced parsley and squeeze some lime or lemon juice all over for extra flavor.
Meal type: side dish
Servings: 4
Copyright: © kayotickitchen.com

Excellent recipe!  I used small new potatos cut in half and did not peel them. Cooked in a cast iron pan in a 400F gas oven.  Very happy with the results.

Wendy on Apr 19, 2013 @ 7:18 pm Reply

Would this work just on the stove?

Marcy on May 6, 2013 @ 12:41 am Reply

I tried these the other night (and I am making them again tonight)!  They’re delicious!  I didn’t add the parsley, simply because I didn’t have any.  My potatoes did not have crunchy bottoms, though.  I was a little disappointed about that.  Do you cook yours on the center rack or lower?

Leslie on May 27, 2013 @ 11:44 pm Reply
      1. I cook mine on the BBQ.

Kay on May 28, 2013 @ 7:27 am Reply

This is my first time visiting your blog–I just found it via Pinterest. It looks amazing, and I can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Lisa @ The Everyday Celiac on Jul 12, 2013 @ 5:13 am Reply

These are phenomenal!!

Melissa on Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:04 pm Reply

I made these tonight and they were delicious!  I don’t have a bbq, so I used various users’ hints for oven cooking and did this: boiled potatoes, cut into chunks, in chicken bouillon.  Drained.  Arranged in casserole dish, added salt, pepper, garlic and paprika; drizzled with olive oil and butter.  Then baked for 15 minutes on 200C and broiled for 10 to make crispy.  My whole family loved them, and I’ll be making them gain soon!

R.J. on Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:23 pm Reply

Thank you very much for the recipe. I´ll try this today.

SaraK on Sep 26, 2013 @ 5:56 am Reply

Followed directions and the potatoes where not even close to being done. Had to inclease temp To 400. I aslo covered them for about 20 mins and then uncovered for another 20 mins on TOP of the suggested cook time. So it Took almost an hour and a half to cook these! Bottoms werent crunchy at all. I used medium sized red potatoes.
      Tasted pretty good but didnt come out like recipe promised.

Veronica on Oct 31, 2013 @ 12:36 am Reply
      1. My recipe is for the BBQ, that’s why they are named bbq potatoes. At the bottom of the recipe I state that when you use the oven you have to either dice the potatoes or adjust the oven time.

Kay on Oct 31, 2013 @ 7:26 am Reply

Oh, lovely recipe.  Seems you got several comments from people who don’t cook a lot, so I will be try to be precise.
      I am a cast iron gal, so have the perfect sized round pan for this recipe.  I let the pan pre-heat “with” the oven to 350 with a scant coating all around of coconut oil (great oil to cook in the oven with as it can take high/extended temps/cooking times, and is great for cast iron seasoning, BTW), so tossed the chopped garlic in to sizzle for a moment or so before I put in the potatoes and a few cipolline onions I had to spare (peeled and only ends cut, and placed in center since they cook faster).
      I poured some organic free range chicken broth (I always have small cartons of this as they come in so handy for sauces) over all the “tops” of the potatoes and onions so the salt and pepper (I like course ground pepper and sea salt) would stick more to the tops, then topped all with the tiny pats of butter.
      They came out perfect in cast iron in 40 minutes.

Deirdre on Nov 9, 2013 @ 5:00 pm Reply

Just parboil the potatoes first and you can cut the time in half–or
      season them and sauté them to your favorite browness.

Lyman on Jan 6, 2014 @ 9:13 pm Reply

I have made them about 2 dozen times now. I started using small red potatoes as discovered they cook/brown faster.  I just quarter them and put a cut side down now after letting the skin side sit in the broth for a moment.  I  use the center of the pan for peeled cippolini onions and only bother putting the butter pats on top of them and not the potatoes.  Husband and sons LOVE them.

Deirdre on Jan 7, 2014 @ 12:19 am Reply

These were a big hit with my daughter who normally doesn’t eat potatoes.  Made these twice in a week because we liked them so much.  Thanks for a great recipe!

Rita on Jan 22, 2014 @ 3:42 pm Reply

Took way more time then you said. Also, would ve nice to know an actual amount for broth. Tasty, just wish they didn’t take so long.

sarah on Jan 26, 2014 @ 1:26 am Reply
      1. Did you make them on the BBQ?

Kay on Jan 26, 2014 @ 9:49 am Reply

Simple easy to make and what flavor. Great recipe.

Mischele on Feb 13, 2014 @ 12:51 am Reply

I used cooking oil for the fat. They came out great. The secret my mom taught me to making “dough boys” as… —LHARNISH

lema on Feb 13, 2014 @ 7:34 pm Reply

I just made these again last night in my cast iron frying pan and you know…I like them better.  they get a better crust.  I didn’t put in quite as much broth this time and the cast iron was really hot.  I think that made a difference for me…more crust.  I really like the parsley and lemon addition.  Great recipe!

Wendy Hampton on Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:00 pm Reply

If there is a problem with cooking in the oven, why not just halve the potatoes? I cook for just the two of us and I think that is what I will try! Looks delish!

Linda on May 3, 2014 @ 5:24 am Reply

Similar to an old English recipe called “Fondant Potatoes”. Check it out also, Potatoes, Butter, Stock, fresh Thyme, S&P.

Cody on Dec 8, 2014 @ 9:50 pm Reply

wow how did I miss this scrumptious post…………….just pinned it to enjoy after the crazy holidays.

barb on Dec 21, 2014 @ 5:59 pm Reply

How much broth?

Sarah on Jan 3, 2015 @ 4:07 am Reply

Made this tonight in the oven at 400 F. I used a Le Creuset pan, baby yellow potatoes sliced in half, and also added carrots. Roasted for about an hour and basted the veggies with the pan broth a couple of times while cooking. It turned out great – lots of flavor!

Jenna on Jan 19, 2015 @ 3:12 am Reply

I tried these tonight in the oven. I had to cook about 55 mins to an hour, and they didn’t turn out crunchy on the bottom and I had to turn them but they turned out so good. Awesome flavor. Thanks.

stephanie on Feb 5, 2015 @ 2:38 am Reply

Making these tonight for Valentine’s night Dinner. With steak and scallops, roasted honey balsamic Brussel Sprouts, and Chocolate dipped Strawberries for Dessert. Made these potatoes for my hubby a couple weeks ago and he said they were the best ever! Said he would be OK with me making them every night !

Kathi Brewer Mahoney on Feb 14, 2015 @ 8:33 pm Reply

How much broth are we talking? I can’t seem to find how much though I may not be looking close enough, thanks a million!!

Sienna on Apr 3, 2015 @ 11:51 pm Reply

She says if you are using the oven you should cut them. Thats why all of yoir potatoes wouldnt cook.

christy on Jun 4, 2015 @ 10:33 pm Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post.