May 20, 2011

BBQ Potatoes

BBQ Potatoes

This is so simple it doesn’t even qualify as a recipe. But I don’t care, sharing it anyway!

When I whipped up an indecent amount of Sunshine BBQ Chicken, I needed an easy side dish that wouldn’t overrule the flavor of the chicken and could also be prepped in an oven as well… since I know not every one has a Big Green Egg. Yes, I know, you can stop glaring at me now! I’m letting you live vicariously through me, what else can I do?!?

These were so very good. Basic and mellow flavors. A perfect structure, soft potatoes with a crunchy bottom layer. They were buttery without being overly greasy and they were chockfull of flavor.

1 1/2 pound potatoes (equal sized)
1 grated garlic clove or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
chicken or vegetable broth
tiny cubes butter
minced parsley
pepper and salt

Optional: lime or lemon juice

Get your BGE (or oven) going and keep it steady at 350Fº (175Cº).

BBQ Potatoes

BBQ Potatoes

Place a tiny slice of butter on top of each potato. As the potatoes start to cook the butter will melt all over, it’s delicious. Not diet-friendly, but very tasty.
BBQ Potatoes

Maybe I should have called them BBQ Butter Potatoes? Oh well.

BBQ Potatoes

I gave mine almost 10 minutes extra. Mainly because I really like a crunchy brown bottom-layer.
BBQ Potatoes

Sprinkle the potatoes with finely minced parsley and if you really want to up the flavors: squeeze some lime or lemon juice on top. It’s crazy good.
BBQ Potatoes

Note: a BBQ gives far more direct heat than an oven does, so when using your oven you will have to dice the potatoes or adjust the cooking time.

BBQ Potatoes
    1 1/2 pound potatoes (equal sized)
    1 grated garlic clove or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    chicken or vegetable broth
    tiny cubes butter
    minced parsley
    pepper and salt

Optional: lime or lemon juice
    Get your BGE (or oven) going and keep it steady at 350Fº (175Cº).

Use an ovenproof dish. Place the peeled and washed (even-sized) potatoes in there and make sure they fit snuggly together. Add the grated garlic or powder to the broth and heat it for a minute to get the flavors going. Pour hot broth in there until there’s about 1 inch of broth in the dish and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top of the potatoes.

Place a tiny slice of butter on top of each potato. As the potatoes start to cook the butter will melt all over. Place the dish in your BBQ or oven and give them 35 to 40 minutes. Check them for readiness. If you like a crunchy brown bottom-layer give them 5 to 10 minutes extra.

Sprinkle the potatoes with the minced parsley and squeeze some lime or lemon juice all over for extra flavor.
Meal type: side dish
Servings: 4
Copyright: © kayotickitchen.com

I will make these on Suncday but I’ll pop them in the microwave for a few minutes first to soften them. I think I’ll use baby potatoes. Sounds wonderful! Thank you!!!

Jean on Jan 4, 2013 @ 2:52 pm Reply

I haven’t made these yet, what kind of potatoes work best? I have white potatoes on hand… will those work?

Meagan on Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:05 pm Reply
      1. Absolutely! I used basic white potatoes as well.

Kay on Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:26 pm Reply

These look amazing, can’t wait to make them! I have to ask, what is the big green egg and why is it so awesome??

Jasmine on Jan 9, 2013 @ 7:16 am Reply

These were delicious, but I agree that if you do them in the oven, less liquid is necessary.  Mine never browned after 75 minutes, so I’m going to try them again with less liquid to start.  I love an earlier commenter’s suggestion of rolling the potatoes in the liquid to avoid the grey color change.  A pleasant surprise was that the potatoes tasted even better re-heated the next day!  Thanks for the recipe.

Tammy on Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:48 am Reply

I would cook the potatoes in the micro for 5 or 6 minutes them put them in the oven, it will cut the cooking time in oven.

nancy on Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:20 pm Reply

I made these last night, but after reading all the comments I made a few adjustments. I cut the potatoes into pieces (each potato into 6 pieces) I cooked them in about 1/4-1/2 cups of chicken broth mixEd with a tablespoon of garlic. Once the chicken broth was evaporated and into the potatoes, I mixed them with a tablespoons or so of oil, some garlic powder, salt and pepper and browned them on both sides like you would just roasting potatoes. They were amazing! The chicken broth made the insides super tasty and the outsides were super brown! Oh the oven was between 400 and 425.

Michelle on Jan 27, 2013 @ 5:10 pm Reply

Mmmm these potatoes look delicious! I just love potatoes, glad I found this recipe on Pinterest! ~Donika

donika@momwhats4dinner on Jan 27, 2013 @ 8:50 pm Reply

What kind of potato do you use?

staci on Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:19 pm Reply

These potatoes are the bomb! when it comes to flavor and moistness!  Yes, it took longer to cook in the oven than specified, to get the brown color, but they were still wonderful.  Next time, I will do as someone else said and heat the chicken broth up to almost boiling and then pop them in the oven, and place them on the bottom rack I think.  My guests loved them as much as we did.  thank you!

Linda W on Feb 11, 2013 @ 8:59 am Reply

Making tease tonight. So excited to eat them.

Annie on Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:17 pm Reply

I cooked them in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes. The fork still wouldn’t even go in. I cranked it up to 450 for another 35 minutes and they were finally fork tender but not crispy. So, I fried the outside whole in a skillet with some bacon grease (who wants to live until they’re 90 anyway?) About an hour after I ate my chicken they were finally done. Delish!

Misty on Feb 26, 2013 @ 2:33 am Reply
      1. Wow. That must’ve been some serious potatoes! In my oven it takes about an hour to roast even really large russet potatoes. That’ll take you hours :)

Kay on Feb 27, 2013 @ 6:40 pm Reply

I will be making this tonight.  Will let you know how well they turn ed out.  Thanks for the tip on less broth when using oven.

deborah daley on Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:06 pm Reply

Wow! These look so incredible! And your photo is phenomenal!! I’m totally impressed. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can’t wait to make them!!

Carol on Mar 6, 2013 @ 1:46 am Reply

Mmmm, heel lekker!  We’ll try it this week!

Linda George on Mar 10, 2013 @ 9:01 pm Reply

I cooked these tonight, and I have to say, they were the best potatoes I’ve
      ever had! I followed the recipe as stated and cooked them in my all-clad stainless frypan in the oven. They came out crispy just like in the picture. They were a huge hit with the whole family!

Michele on Mar 10, 2013 @ 9:51 pm Reply

Your BBQ potatoes were great and there so cute this is my new go to website #best BBQ potatoes ever

Jakiah Pearson-Gray on Mar 11, 2013 @ 12:02 am Reply

They look really good, like a roasted potato but not.  I think I will try them in the oven but on the bottom rack where they are closest to the heat source.

Holly on Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:51 pm Reply

These were amazing! Think next time I’d slice them like thick French fries to make them cook faster and end up with more of that delicious crispiness on the bottoms! We pretty much ate them out of the hot pan as soon as they were done… that’s when you know it’s good haha. Thanks!

Lindsay on Mar 15, 2013 @ 4:28 am Reply

Will be trying this recipe soon…what one oven bakes perfectly, another may burn or undercook. I had one that I had to turn my dishes in as it always baked unevenly.And, gas cooks so much differently than electric! Know your oven!!! Also, if the bottoms aren’t crispy, I believe it would work after removing from oven to use a little butter or olive oil in cast iron skillet and crisp one side (or all) up that way.

csteward on Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:15 pm Reply

Hi, Im just curious as to what kind of potatoes you used? russet? red? or will any kind work? thanks!

Anne Marie on Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:44 pm Reply
      1. Any waxy kind of potatoes will do!

Kay on Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:46 pm Reply

LOVE THEM!I have tried them with both beef and chicken broth.I think the beef tastes way better.

Arianna on Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:46 am Reply

What kind of dish do you recommend for the grill?

Sara on Apr 6, 2013 @ 3:43 am Reply

found your recipe via pinterest but the link went to http://fabulousfoodblog.com/2013/01/12/potatoes-baked-in-chicken-broth-garlic-and-butter-so-good-they-get-crispy-on-the-bottom-but-stay-fluffy-inside-chocked-full-of-flavor/ (not sure if they had your permission to use your image and there wasnt a link to your recipe or your blog)
      i had to do a google search to find your blog and the recipe, which looks delicious!!

Vikki on Apr 7, 2013 @ 8:02 am Reply

These were awesome will definitely make them again.. A side not those of you having issues with your potatoes cooking, be sure that your potatoes weren’t frozen in the store for longer keeping. We have stores here that keep the warehouse super cold for that reason and makes baking potatoes horrible. Just a thought!

Michelle D on Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:59 pm Reply

i tried these tonight, but i cubed my potatoes up and put them in the oven at 425 and baked them for about 40 mins, they were delicious!!!

Tanda on Apr 10, 2013 @ 2:10 am Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post.